Orbetello is probably one of the most beautiful villages in the Tuscan Maremma, and certainly one of the most particular, located in the center of the lagoon of the same name, it is connected to Monte Argentario by a road that divides the lagoon into two parts, Laguna di Ponente and Laguna di Levante. .
The area of Orbetello has been inhabited since the Etruscan era, under the Roman Empire the colony of Cosa was built in nearby Ansedonia. The history of the town begins in the Middle Ages, under the government of the Aldobrandeschi, who remained lords of Orbetello until the early 1300s, after the marriage between the Aldobrandeschi and Orsini families, the city passed to the latter, but only for a short time. , in fact, Orbetello was soon conquered by Orvieto. In 1414 Orbetello passed to the Republic of Siena, to pass, in 1557, under the State of the Presidia of Spain.
What to see in Orbetello:
Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, is the main church of the Tuscan town. Built on the ruins of a Roman temple dating back to the 5th century, inside there is a painting depicting the Madonna enthroned among the Angels in the background of the Orbetello Lagoon, from 1800, an eighteenth-century canvas depicting the Circumcision
Church of the Madonna delle Grazie, dating back to 1300, was incorporated, in 1500, in the buildings of the United Hospitals of San Giovanni di Dio, on the entrance portal there is a coat of arms of the municipality of Orbetello, while inside there are some valuable works , including an 18th century painting depicting the Madonna and Child in Glory between Angels and a fresco depicting the Madonna and Child Enthroned between Saints Peter and Paul
Guzmàn powder magazine, dating back to 1692, the building was built by the Spaniards and was used as a powder magazine. During the landing in Talamone in 1860, Giuseppe Garibaldi supplied himself with ammunition at this powder magazine, and eleven inhabitants of Orbetello decided to follow him in his enterprise. Today the powder magazine houses the Archaeological Museum of Orbetello
Cinta Muraria, dating back to the Etruscan period, probably to the 5th century BC, the walls were then enlarged and fortified in the Middle Ages, during the 1500s and by the Spaniards. It included the Fortress, and three access gates, Porta Medina Coeli, built in 1679, Porta a Terra, built in the 17th century and Porta del Soccorso, dating back to 1620
Orbetello is also famous for its beaches, those of Ansedonia and those of the Tombolo della Giannella.