Nicknamed “Spy of the Maremma”, for its 360 ° view over the Tuscan Maremma, Manciano is a village rich in history and traditions.
Built in medieval times, the village of Manciano is today one of the main centers of the Maremma, an unmissable destination during a holiday in southern Tuscany.
Just 10 minutes from the famous Terme di Saturnia, Manciano offers its visitors suggestive routes through the alleys of the historic center, and monuments of great historical value.
You cannot miss a visit to the Church of San Leonardo, the Clock Tower, the Fountain in Piazza Garibaldi, the Church of the Santissima Annunziata and of course the Rocca, from whose tower you can admire the splendid Maremma panorama, between the hills and the sea. on background.
There are many events that will brighten your stay, among the main ones we mention Top Secret Maremma, Manciano Street Music Festival, Cartoon Village, Vivamus, Il Palio delle Botti and the Festa delle Cantine.
WHAT TO SEE IN SOVANA
Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul
The Duomo is the most important church in the village of Sovana, its construction dates back to the 9th century.
Many restorations were carried out in the following centuries, so much so that the church was still under construction in 1248.
Today the church has stylistic elements typical of various historical periods, you can see Romanesque and Gothic elements.
Inside, the church houses some works of historical and artistic value, including some paintings depicting the Madonna in Gloria from the sixteenth century, the Crucifixion of San Pietro, from 1671 attributed to Domenico Manenti, Santa Maria Egiziaca, from 1487 by Tommaso di Tomè di Onofrio.
Church of Santa Maria Maggiore
The Church of Santa Maria Maggiore is located in Piazza del Pretorio in Sovana.
Originally built in 1100, the church has undergone numerous alterations over the centuries.
The interior of the church is divided into three naves, and houses some valuable works, including a Crucifixion with Saints, a Madonna Enthroned with Child and two Saints, from 1508, a Stone Ciborium, in pre-Romanesque style, and some frescoes from 1500 of the Umbrian-Sienese school.
Church of San Mamiliano
The Church of San Mamiliano is the oldest in the town of Sovana, its construction dates back to the early Christian period, and in the sixth century it became a bishop’s seat.
During the 1200s it was enlarged and restored, but with the transfer of the bishop’s seat to the Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul, the building was gradually abandoned.
Recent restorations have brought the church back to its former glory and led to the discovery of a hidden treasure, as many as 498 gold coins, minted under Leo I and Antemius, thus dating back to 457-474.
Also known by the name of Palazzo dell’Episcopio, the Bishop’s Palace stands in Piazza del Duomo, leaning against the Cathedral.
Dating back to the seventh century, the building was remodeled during the fourteenth century, when a new access portal was built, until 1777 the building became a bishopric.
With a rectangular plan, the building is spread over two levels, on the outside, the building is covered in tuff.
Located in Piazza del Pretorio, the Palazzo dell’Archivio is one of the most famous buildings in the village of Sovana.
Built in 1100, the building originally served as the municipal seat, partially damaged in 1433 during the siege of the Orsini, the building was almost completely restored and in 1588 the clock was added, the addition of the bell tower dates back to the 1600.
During the seventeenth century, the building became the seat of the Sovana archive.
Dating back to the Middle Ages, probably to the early 13th century, Palazzo Pretorio stands in Piazza del Pretorio in Sovana.
The facade of the building is very particular and bears the coats of arms of the captains of the people and the commissioners who served in the city of Sovana.
The building houses the Visitor Center of the Archaeological Park of Tufo and the Documentation Center of the Sovanese Territory.
Loggia del Capitano
Historic building in Sovana, the Loggia del Capitano, also known as the Loggetta del Capitano, is located in Piazza del Pretorio, leaning against the Palazzo Pretorio.
Of medieval origin, the building was built during the fifteenth century and is characterized by the presence of two arches, through which you enter the main structure.
The Medici coat of arms stands out on the façade, dating back to 1570 and commissioned by Cosimo I de’Medici.
Palazzo Bourbon del Monte
The Bourbon del Monte Palace is located in Piazza del Pretorio in Sovana and is an imposing building dating back to the sixteenth century, built to a design by the architect Vignola.
From inside the building, characterized by cross vaults, you enter a garden through a 16th century portal.
The palace was born as the official residence of the Bishop.
Built on the ruins of a pre-existing building of Etruscan origin, the Rocca dates back to the year one thousand and was the official residence of the Aldobrandeschi family.
In the Sienese period, in the early 1400s, the fortress was restored and fortified.
The fortress is located just outside the historic center of sovana, and today only a few impressive ruins remain of the original structure, entirely made of tuff.
Polo Museale Sovana
The documentation center of the territory of Sovana is located in the premises of Palazzo del Pretorio, in Sovana.
Inaugurated in 1998, the documentation center houses the Museum of San Mamiliano, where the objects found inside the Church of San Mamiliano are exhibited, specifically a container with 498 coins dating back to the fifth century, there are also some finds from from the Tomb of San Sebastiano dating back to the 2nd century BC, a collection of vases from the 1st century BC, some clay statues, some ex-votos dated 7th-6th century BC.
Sovana Museum Center
Piazza del Pretorio
26 March-6 October: 10-13 / 15:19
7 October – 3 November: 10-13 / 15:18
26 December – 6 January: 10-13 / 14:17
Closing day: Wednesday (except holidays and the month of August).
Admission: full € 2.00
Città del Tufon Archaeological Park was founded in 1998 and brings together the main archaeological areas of the Sorano area, uniting the necropolis of Poggio Felceto, Poggio Prisca, Poggio Stanziale, the Vie Cave, the Sovana area, San Rocco and Vitozza.
The park is divided into two main areas:
– First Sector: with Via Cava del Cavone, the Pola Tomb, dating back to the III century BC, the Tomb of the Winged Demons, Poggio Felceto and the Ildebranda Tomb, the Tifone Tomb, dating back to the IV century BC.
– Second Sector: with the Church of San Sebastiano, Via Cava di San Sebastiano, the Necropolis of Tollena, Piancostanzi, Poggio San Pietro, the Tomb of the Siren, from the third century BC.
ARCHAEOLOGICAL PARK CITY OF TUFO
0564-633023 / 0564-614074 / 0564-633099
March and November: Saturday and Sunday 10: 00-18: 00
29 March-6 October: every day 10: 00-19: 00
7 October – 3 November: every day 10: 00-18: 00
Bridge 8 December / 26 December-6 January: 10: 00-17: 00
Admission: € 5.00