Borgo dell’Area del Tufo, Sorano is a small town in the Tuscan Maremma.
Born in medieval times, as a possession of the Aldobrandeschi, Sorano then became part of the county of the Orsini, before being annexed to the Republic of Siena and finally to the Grand Duchy of Tuscany.
The area of Sorano was inhabited down in the Etruscan period, its territory is now characterized by the presence of numerous necropolises and archaeological areas, included in the Area del Tufo Archaeological Park.
The historic center hosts important monuments, including the Collegiate Church of San Niccolò, the Masso Leopoldino, the Orsini Fortress, the Town Hall and the Cinta Muraria, with the historic access gates.


Collegiate Church of San Niccolò

Main sacred building of the Maremma village of Sorano, the Collegiate Church of San Niccolò rises in the heart of the historic center of the town.
Dating back to 1276, the church was born as a secondary building after the Parish Church of San Nicola di Selvena, it was in 1290 that the church was enlarged, at the behest of Countess Margherita di Monfort, until it became a collegiate church in 1509.
The interior of the church is divided into two naves, the building still shows some elements of Romanesque art today, while the facade has been completely restored in neoclassical style, among other works of art kept in the church, there is a painting depicting “San Giuseppe” attributed to Pietro Aldi and built in the nineteenth century.
Masso Leopoldino

The Masso Leopoldino is probably the most representative place of the village of Sorano, it was born as an integral part of the defensive system of the city.
The building was mainly used as a place of refuge and sighting, a church was also built there, the Church of Santa Caterina, which was soon destroyed by a landslide.
The structure of the Masso Leopoldino is mainly composed of tuff boulders, with the presence of the Clock Tower, which was built from the beginning.
Fortezza Orsini
Built in the 12th century, the fortress was originally born as the residence of the Aldobrandeschi family and took the name of Rocca Aldobrandesca.
Passed under the control of the Orsini, the fortress was fortified and became one of the official residences of the counts.
The Orsini Fortress is made up of two distinct parts, the castle which is the oldest nucleus, housed the lodgings of the lords who ruled Sorano, some 16th century frescoes have recently been found in some rooms of the castle, and the fortress, added during the epoch. from the sixteenth century and built in neoclassical style, the Museum of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance is located here.
Palazzo Comitale

Also known as Palazzo Orsini, the Palazzo Comitale is located in the historic center of the village of Sorano, in Piazza della Chiesa.
Built in the second half of the 13th century, the building was born as the residence of the Orsini Counts in Sorano, and carried out this function until the end of the 15th century, when the works on the fortress were completed.
The palace is now privately owned, preceded by an arched portal in Renaissance style, is articulated on three levels, on the entrance portal the coat of arms of the Orsini family stands out.
Cinta Muraria

An integral part of the defensive system of the city of Sorano, the Cinta Muraria was built in 1200 by the Aldobrandeschi family, it was then reinforced and enlarged during the Renaissance by the Orsini Counts.
From the walls, you enter the oldest part of the village by two access gates: Porta di Sopra and Porta dei Merli.
Porta di Sopra, rises on the external side, at the foot of the Fortress.
Porta dei Merli, also known as Porta di Sotto, is located at the foot of Masso Leopoldino.
archaeological park

The Città del Tufo Archaeological Park was founded in 1998 and brings together the main archaeological areas of the Sorano area, uniting the necropolis of Poggio Felceto, Poggio Prisca, Poggio Stanziale, the Vie Cave, the Sovana area, San Rocco and Vitozza.
The park is divided into two main areas:
– First Sector: with Via Cava del Cavone, the Pola Tomb, dating back to the III century BC, the Tomb of the Winged Demons, Poggio Felceto and the Ildebranda Tomb, the Tifone Tomb, dating back to the IV century BC.
– Second Sector: with the Church of San Sebastiano, Via Cava di San Sebastiano, the Necropolis of Tollena, Piancostanzi, Poggio San Pietro, the Tomb of the Siren, from the third century BC.
Museum of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance


Based in the Orsini Fortress, the Museum of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance was inaugurated in 1996, and is housed in the private residences of the Orsini Counts.
Divided into seven rooms, the museum exhibits a collection of medieval and Renaissance ceramics from the territory of the Tufo area, about 90 pieces including bowls, perfume bottles and jugs, this collection is dated the 16th-18th century, a relief kit of engagement plates, including one bearing the star of the crowned eagle, coat of arms of the Elena Conti di Montelanico, wife of Niccolò III Orsini
From the exhibition rooms of the museum you can access the private rooms of Niccolò IV Orsini, here you can admire frescoes of exquisite workmanship, including a fresco depicting a score of a madrigal from the song “I am a young girl” taken from the Decameron.
Museum of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance
Piazza Cairoli, 3 – 58010 Sorano (GR)
Opening time :
29 March – 6 October: 10-13 / 15-19
7 October – 3 November: 10-13 / 15-18
Entrance: Museum and Orsini Fortress € 4.00
Vie Cave

The territory of Pitigliano sees the presence of the famous Vie Cave.
The Vie Cave are the ancient communication routes that arose in the Etruscan era, streets entirely dug into the rock, like trenches, with walls almost 20 meters high.
The Vie Cave are today an unmissable attraction for lovers of history and nature, who will be able to experience the ancient Etruscan-Roman eras here and discover numerous animal and plant species that populate the area.