At the foot of Monte Amiata, and a few minutes from the Terme di Saturnia, is the village of Semproniano.
The area was inhabited since Roman times, according to reconstructions the name “Semproniano” derives from that of the Gens Sempronia.
The first evidence of the existence of a castle in medieval times dates back to the year one thousand, and the town at that time was placed under the control of the Aldobrandeschi, then passed to the Republic of Siena, the Spanish Kingdom of the Presidi and finally to the Grand Duchy of Tuscany.
Among the most beautiful monuments to visit: the Parish Church of Saints Vincenzo and Anastasio, the Church of San Rocco, the Church of the Madonna delle Grazie, the Palazzo dell’Ospedaletto, the Cinta Muraria, the Rocca Aldonrandesca.
Do not miss the Poggio Rocconi Nature Reserve and the WWF Oasis.
WHAT TO SEE IN SEMPRONIANO
Parish church of Saints Vincenzo and Anastasio
In the heart of the historic center of Semproniano, there is the Pieve dei Santi Vincenzo ed Anastasio.
Of medieval origin, the sacred building has a single nave, and houses a seventeenth-century painting depicting the Madonna with Sant’Antonio Abate, Santa Lucia and the Pievano with the Monster of Vignacci, as well as some remains of thirteenth-century frescoes.
Outside, a bell tower.
Church of the Holy Cross
Santa Croce is located in Semproniano.
The construction of the church dates back to 1100, under the dominion of the Aldobrandeschi, although the current appearance is due to the restorations that took place in 1856 and 1957.
The interior is in neo-Gothic style and houses a wooden crucifix dating back to the medieval period, the traditional crucifix is celebrated every 25 years.
Church of San Rocco
Outside the walls of Semproniano, stands the Church of San Rocco.
The building dates back to 1400, built with a rectangular plan, in 1926 it was modified with the addition of an arch, built to celebrate the fallen in the First World War.
Church of the Madonna delle Grazie
Just outside the historic center of the village of Semproniano, there is the Church of the Madonna delle Grazie.
The church was built in the sixteenth century starting from the ruins of an ancient hermitage.
The church is very simple, and inside it houses a painting of the Madonna and Child, attributed to Elisabetta Anna Taverni and dating back to 1788 and another painting depicting Saint Anthony of Padua in front of the Madonna and Child, made by Francesco Nasini.
The walls of the village of Semproniano date back to the medieval period.
Built to defend the village of Semproniano, the construction of the walls began in the thirteenth century, under the control of the Aldobrandeschi.
Elliptical in shape, the surrounding walls surround the entire oldest nucleus of the village of Semproniano, the walls were built in stone and clay and also includes the Rocca Aldobrandesca.
Built starting from the 9th century, the Rocca Aldobrandesca rises in a dominant position with respect to the town of Semproniano.
Built as a domain of the Aldobrandeschi, the Rocca became, starting from the 13th century, a possession of the Orsini, and then to the Sienese.
Part of the walls, of the ancient structure of the Rocca Aldobrandesca, only a few impressive ruins remain today
Bosco Rocconi Nature Reserve
The Bosco Rocconi Nature Reserve is between the municipalities of Semproniano and Roccalbegna.
Owned by the WWF, the reserve extends for 371 hectares, and preserves native species of the territory, such as holm oak, maple, mastic, downy oak, hornbeam and some species of orchids.
The fauna is also typical of the territory, in fact it hosts the wild cat, the marten, the badger, the wolf, the peregrine falcon, the lanner, the harrier, the imperial crow, the jay and the kingfisher.